"AS YOU LIKE IT"
Written By William Shakespeare
Directed by Darlene Rhoden
AUGUST 4 - 19, 2017
THURS - SAT 7:30PM, SUN 2:00PM
As You Like It subverts the traditional rules of romance. Gender roles, nature and politics are confused in a play that reflects on how bewildering yet utterly pleasurable life can be.
Exile in the Forest of Arden
Duke Senior has been forced into exile from the court by the usurping Duke Frederick. He takes refuge in the Forest of Arden with a band of faithful lords. Rosalind, his daughter, is kept uneasily at court as a companion to her cousin Celia, Frederick's daughter.
A wrestling match
Orlando de Boys, the youngest son of the late Sir Rowland de Boys, has been kept in poverty by his brother Oliver since his father's death. Orlando decides to wrestle for his fortune at Frederick's court, where he sees Rosalind and they fall in love.
The Duke banishes Rosalind, fearing that she is a threat to his rule. Celia, refusing to be parted from her cousin, goes with Rosalind to seek Duke Ferdinand in the Forest. For safety they disguise themselves - Rosalind as the boy Ganymede and Celia as his sister Aliena - and persuade the fool Touchstone to accompany them.
On hearing of a plot by his brother to kill him, Orlando also flees to the Forest and takes refuge with the exiled Duke. Posting love lyrics through the forest, Orlando encounters Rosalind disguised as Ganymede. She challenges his love-sick state and suggests that he should prove the strength of his love by wooing Ganymede as if he were Rosalind.
Love blossoms in the forest
Elsewhere in the Forest love also blossoms: the shepherd Silvius suffers unrequited love for Phoebe, who has fallen for Ganymede, while Touchstone is pursuing the goat-herd Audrey.Oliver, sent into the Forest to hunt down Orlando, has his life saved by his brother, becomes filled with remorse for his past behaviour and falls in love with Aliena. Frustrated by the pain of his love for Rosalind, Orlando is unable to continue wooing Ganymede, so Ganymede promises he will conjure up the real Rosalind and that all the lovers will finally be wed...
(Click on the gray boxes below to expand the sections)
TICKETS & CALENDAR
• Reserved seat tickets are $19; Senior and Students are $15; Thursday performances (August 10 and 17) are $15 for everyone. The ten performances are Friday-Sunday, August 4-6; Thursday-Sunday, August 10-13; and Thursday-Saturday, August 17-19.
Curtain time is 7:30 p.m.,
except for the 2 p.m. Sunday matinées.
• An Opening Night Gala with refreshments following the show is open to all those who purchase tickets to the August 4 performance. The VLT also has 20 assisted-listening devices available on a first-come basis each night.
• Season Ticket Holders may purchase tickets starting July 12.
• General Public sales begin July 26.
• Patrons may order tickets on-line at TheVLT.com or through the box office. For more information on tickets, call 541-344-7751 or send an email to [email protected] The Very Little Theatre is located at 2350 Hilyard St. in Eugene.
Duke Senior: Penta Swanson
Duke Frederick: Larry Fried
Amiens: Jon Lowery
Le Beau: Blake Beardsley
Charles and Sir Oliver Mar-text: Ryan Sayegh
Oliver: Cloud Pemble
Jaques: Dan Pegoda
Orlando: Joel Ibanez
Adam: Rudy Wilson
Touchstone: Scott Frazier-Maskiell
Corin: James Aday
Silvius: Sheldon Hall
William: Christian Mitchell
Rosalind: Jennifer Appleby
Celia: Andrea Lee
Phebe: Melanie Moser
Audrey: Brittany Dorris
Forester 1: Sarah Glidden
Lord/Forester: Jessica Baker